Archive for the ‘Weaving’ Category

Turtleweaves Part 6 – Done

May 15, 2009


Well, not done in the sense of finished – I still have to wet finish it – but the weaving is all done!
Here it is on the couch. The bottom part is the “sampler” part with different weaves and densities. After I while, I was loving the twill, so I just continued in that for the 2nd half of the strip.
Sampler on couch
Here it is on the camilla (photo shoot the same day I finished the previously-posted socks):
Sampler on bush
A close-up of the “sampler” part of the weave:
Sampler close up
And a close-up of the loose twill I did at the end:
Sampler close up, twill
And yet another shot, folded to only show the twill:
Sampler

Advertisements

Turtleweaves Part 4 – Beginning The Weaving

March 17, 2009


I promised fabric for my next weaving post, and here is some fabric.
IMG_7992
I started with plain weave, experimenting with different numbers of picks per inch: balanced, tight, loose. Then I did some twill.
IMG_8036
I took the following picture because I was so thrilled to see the fabric wind around the cloth beam:
100_0180
Real fabric! That I wove! I know, I know — it doesn’t take much for me to get excited.

Turtleweaves Part 3 – Finishing the Warp

February 23, 2009

This blog post covers a couple of days.
I am up to threading the yarn through the heddles. I have 4 shafts, and I’m just putting the yarn thru in order: 1,2,3,4. (I think this is called a straight draw, but don’t quote me.) I tie a knot with each group of 12; here I have 24 threaded.
IMG_7923
On shaft 1, I ran out of heddles. I thought I had more than enough, so I’d saved 2 at the beginning and skipped some of the bent ones. In retrospect, a mistake, but a very minor one — I got to practice Chandler’s lesson on making string heddles, and they seem to work fine.
IMG_7929
Here I have all 120 ends threaded:
IMG_7937
Now, I tie each of the groups onto the “apron rod” — I discovered that it’s an old paint stirrer! It seems to work, although it would be short if I were using the whole 14″ width of the loom, so I’ll replace it at some point.
I used a lark’s head knot (would you look at that — Chandler’s book is making me sound like I actually know something!) to tie the yarn on. Since my warp is shorter than I wanted it, I decided to use this method.
IMG_7939
Here, Adidas is helping me wind the warp onto the back beam. As I wind, he is making sure there are no tangles in the front.
IMG_7942
Then, I attached the yarn to the front apron rod. It took a bit of concentration but wasn’t as hard as it seemed from the description in the book. I tried to get the tension as even as I could.
IMG_7943
When that was done, I lifted each shaft in turn, till I got to #3:
Oops, a mis-threaded heddle.
IMG_7944
Not too hard to fix (from the front). Found 2 more errors, and fixed them too. See, in the 5th group from the right, there are 3 threads in a row that go “under.”
IMG_7953
The warping is now done — hooray! I used paper to start and to even out the warp threads — I should have done more than 3 passes, but I was anxious to get a few picks in before I went to bed. And, this is a sampler, after all. So I indulged myself:
IMG_7954
By the next blog post, you should see weaving!

Turtleweaves Part 2, Sleying the Reed

February 20, 2009

The next step in warping the loom placing each individual warp thread through the slots in the reed, or sleying. IMG_7916
This reed has 8 slots per inch, but I want my sampler to be 12 ends per inch, so I alternated one and two threads per slot.
IMG_7919
Since I’m going to have white and green stripes in the warp, I do groups of 12 separated by gaps where the green will go.
IMG_7920
Then I did the green:
IMG_7921
Here is the back of the reed.
IMG_7922
That’s all for today.

Turtleweaves: Warp Part 1

February 8, 2009


I have been weaving a bit, but my loom came pre-warped with a rather long warp, so I have never warped it. I decided at the end of last year that I needed to learn how to warp it. I bought the book in November, the yarn in December, then the project was OBE (Overcome By Events) and finally today I had time to begin. This post is picture heavy so my apologies if you are on dial-up.
Here’s the book, Learning to Weave by Deborah Chandler; I picked it because it was recommended by Syne Mitchell on her excellent podcast Weavecast:
IMG_7860
Here is the wool, Halcyon Victorian (the green is a spruce green – not nearly as blue as in the photo):
IMG_7865
Here is my assistant Adidas, setting up our “warping board” which consists of wood clamps on the dining room table:
IMG_7876
I sat on one side of the table, while Adidas wound the warp around the clamps. We learned about making the “cross” and he was very careful that every round had a cross.
IMG_7878
I’m in the foreground. When Adidas throws me the ball of yarn, I wrap it around my clamp and throw it back.
IMG_7879
For this sampler (10″ wide, 12 ends per inch) we needed 60 white pieces of yarn:
IMG_7883
We tied the cross in 5 places with scrap yarn:
IMG_7884
Adidas cut the far end and tied it:
IMG_7886
Here’s the warp. It was supposed to be 2 feet, but I was math challenged when I attached the clamps to the table, so it’s a little more than 1.5 feet. That’s OK, it’s a sampler. Notice the quantities of liquid refreshment we are consuming.
IMG_7890
I chained the warp:
IMG_7891
And then it was on to the green!
IMG_7904
The green took about 1/3 the time of the natural, maybe less:
IMG_7906
I guess we knew what we were doing the second time, at least a little bit.
IMG_7908
My first two teeny tiny warps. I wanted to start the actually warping, but that will have to wait for another day.